I have been watching a lot of our local news coverage of the news. I am resisting the pull to skip class and head downtown to observe what is take place at the Mall today. I have also been reading every one's posts on facebook today. A dear friend, reminded me of some prayers in the Book of Common Prayer (BCP). For those of you who don't know I was raised in the Episcopal church. Though, I am not a practicing Episcopalian now, sometimes I still turn to the BCP when I am looking for a good prayer or scripture guidance. These seem to be the best words that I know how to say today.
For our Peace- BCP pg 815
Eternal God, in whose perfect kingdom no sword is drawn but the sword of righteousness, no strength known but the strength of love: So mightily spread abroad your Spirit, that all peoples may be gathered under the banner of the Prince of Peace, as children of one Father; to whom be dominion and glory, now and for ever.
For those in the Armed Forces of our Country
BCP-pg823
Almighty God, we commend to your gracious care and keeping all the men and women of our armed forces at home and abroad. Defend them day by day with your heavenly grace; strengthen them in their trails and temptions; give them courage to face the perils which beset them; and grant them a sense of your abiding presence wherever they may be; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For the President- BCP pg820 (portion of)
...Grant to the President of the United States, and to all in authority, wisdom and strength to know and to do thy will. Fill them with love of truth and righteousness, and make them ever mindful of their calling to serve this people, through Jesus Christ our Lord, the Holy Spirit and one God.
For our Enemies- BCP pg816
O God, the Father of all, whose Son commanded us to love our enemies: Lead them and us from prejudice to truth; deliver them and us from hatred, cruelty, and revenge; and in your good time enable us all to stand reconciled before you; through Jesus Christ our Lord.

No comments :
Post a Comment